Testosterone Replacement – Benefits, Risks and Available Therapy Options.
Testosterone replacement is a curative therapy that aims to either raise or maintain normal levels of testosterone in a man. This arises from the fact that testosterone levels continue to drop significantly with age advancement. In some studies, it has been shown that after the age of 30 years, men will continue experiencing a 1% drop in the production of testosterone per year.
Replacing testosterone has for sometimes now been known to improve physical agility, increase libido and boost one’s mood. It is for this reason that many people are opting for testosterone replacement therapy.
Benefits of testosterone replacement therapy
The benefits of testosterone replacement therapy are much related to the benefits of having the right amount of testosterone in the body. They include:
- Body fitness – The right amount of testosterone helps boost the available energy levels in the body. This in turn ensures that a man has the energy needed for physical trainings and exercises.
- Sex drive – The right dosage of testosterone can effectively deal with problems associated with erectile dysfunctions and especially low semen volume.
- Body weight – A successful testosterone replacing therapy can be used as a weight loss technique. This is because testosterone helps in the right distribution of fat in the body.
- Better sleep and lifestyle experiences – Replacement therapies are important in bettering ones sleeping experiences. However, abuse of testosterone can cause sleeping problems as a side effect. Also, such therapies help reduce stress and boost one’s moods.
- Bone density and muscle build-up – Men who successfully go through replacement therapies achieve stronger bone development. Also, muscles tighten and become leaner.
- Boosts the production of red blood cells.
- Delays the effects of old age like hair loss. Replacement therapies also boost the onset of puberty in young men.
Risks of testosterone replacement
There are several risks of testosterone replacement. The risks have a higher probability of occurring in case that you are taking testosterone injections or supplements without the directions of a doctor. They include:
- Sleeping related problems; here, patents have reported experiencing difficulties in breathing when sleeping. Others have reported inconsistencies in sleeping patterns.
- Enlarged breasts in men; this mostly occurs in events that a large dosage of testosterone is taken frequently.
- Tender and loose muscles; because muscles tend to develop at a faster rate when under the influence of testosterone, the tendons that hold them to the bones may fail to develop sufficiently. This results in loose and tender muscles.
- Heart, kidney and liver related issues. For example, cases of high blood pressure, heart attacks and stroke have been reported.
- Short term risks include excessively oily skin, acnes, headaches, nausea (when taking oral tablets), difficulties in blood clotting and mood swings.
Which is the best testosterone replacing option?
The best option in regards to replacing testosterone depends on a couple of factors. Below are the available options you can choose from:
- Injections – These are testosterone injections that contain testosterone cypionate. It is largely considered the best of all the other options.
- Gels – These come in form of common gels. They are applied on the skin, preferably on the shoulder blades where the skin is thin. When applied, testosterone is absorbed directly into the body through the skin.
- Patches – Skin patches are stuck on a part of the body and changed on daily basis. Much like gels, they work by having the available testosterone or enhancing ingredients sip into the body through the skin.
- Gum patches – Unlike skin patches, these ones are stuck in the gaps between one’s teeth.
- Pills – Oral pills rarely contain active testosterone in them. In most cases, their ingredients mainly include testosterone boosting supplements or herbal products. Pills work by boosting the natural production of testosterone. They are not the best options for extremely low levels of testosterone.
It is always advised that you get medical advice on the best options in regards to testosterone replacement.